In my 8 plus years of coaching, I’ve heard just about every single reason why my clients aren’t reaching their goals. Below are a few of the following and you may be able to relate!
First off, I want to say your feelings are valid and the way you’re seeing the situation isn’t necessarily wrong. However, if you want to make drastic changes in your life you have to start with a shift in your perspective.
My desire in writing this blog for you is to see that you have more power than you give yourself credit for. I have been blown away by my client’s personal power through small micro shifts in their mindset, emotions, and actions.
If you truly embody some of these lessons you could completely shift your perception and action to create the body and mindset of your dreams.
1. I don’t have time- I have trained with multi-millionaires and single moms of 4. It may not be ideal or easy for you and I get that it may actually be more difficult for you. This is where you empower yourself to make the time for prioritizing your needs and desires and ditch perfectionism. My pro tip: Schedule your workout with the time of least disruption. This looks different for all of us and you know your schedule best. I highly encourage you to dive even deeper and sacrifice the hour of scrolling on social media or the Netflix series binging….. but is that really even a sacrifice?
2. I think it’s boring- I think of this like tracing letters in kindergarten, learning addition, or any task where the foundational principles feel so repetitive. The baseline of anything is always going to feel a little boring. That is, unless you choose to see it otherwise. Lifting, running, eating, working, and most of life is repetition. How you decide to honor and elevate that repetition is up to you. Plus, you get to decide if you put on Cardi B or Lizzo and dance in between. You get to choose to be excited about the body you’re building. You get to decide that this ultimately is going to change your life. Or you can decide it’s not exciting enough. You make the difference. Ps. Beyonce is a great choice too.
3. I’m self-conscious- I understand how painful it can be to not be comfortable in your own skin. I’ve been there and I hope you hear this with love and compassion. Your body and mind are a reflection of how you’ve treated yourself thus far. This is where you’re at now but it doesn’t always have to be that way. It is going to feel uncomfortable until you embody a new way of thinking, being, and acting. I know overweight women who OWN IT and I know in shape women who hate themselves and pick themselves apart. You get to decide how the journey looks for you. With one-one coaching, this is far a smoother journey but if you’re navigating this alone, give yourself some credit. As you develop self-trust and work yourself through the hard parts it becomes easier. You embody more of your desires because you’re no longer denying yourself the body and the dreams that you’ve always had. This will increase your confidence.
4. I’m too tired after work. I get it, there are days where I have a day full of presentations, content creations, and client calls. Sometimes I am too tired, too, and you know what I do? I show up. I give it all I have while taking care of myself. If this is a chronic issue for you look at where you’re putting out too much energy people-pleasing or over giving, this is a whole other topic. So I ask, Is it in trying to convince your boss something? Is it fighting with your spouse? Is it mac & cheese and ice cream most nights? Where can you honor yourself more so you can devote more time to taking care of what matters most to you? Start to get really in tune where you’re outputting too much mental and emotional energy. Seriously no judgment here I am a recovering people pleaser. P.s. do you still like me!? (Jk and I love you either way.)
5. I’m lazy. First of all, no, and stop labeling yourself lazy! You are not lazy. You are excelling in many areas of your life. Maybe you’re a mom, a CEO, a fashionista, a social butterfly, an assistant, or an amazing companion. There are parts of your life where you ultimately thrive! You just think that you’re lazy in this area because you haven’t figured out how to form a habit around it. You keep repeating the starting process where you feel sore and demotivated because you slipped up once. Once you get over the first few weeks of the learning and foundational phase you are much more likely to be set up for ultimate success. You just decide to become the person who is the “fit person” and you keep repeating that process. (The boring part right? Where you love yourself unconditionally.)
6. I tried it before and it didn’t work. Yes, you probably tried it with an all-or-nothing mentality. You probably said you were going to give up everything in your lifestyle like happy hour, binge-watching Netflix, scrolling through Instagram, and people pleasing. One thing at a time. This goes for all of us. We can approach all of these at once but understand that life is like a game of shoots and ladders. Sometimes you text your ex and you have to repeat the same lesson. It’s all good. Just because you texted him or had that serving of cake doesn’t mean you have to self-sabotage and hang out with him or finish off the next 8 slices. I promise, even if you do, it’s all good. Once you instill the belief that your evolution is a no matter what deal and your love is unconditional you’ll stop being so hard on yourself. You can give yourself more grace and embody the person you are becoming.
7. My family and friends aren’t supportive. You probably have shown them that you can’t trust yourself or you just have lived a lifestyle that doesn’t support your new one. No matter what it is for you that you desire in this life you have to believe it first, no matter what. The only person that ultimately needs to believe this is you. If you really don’t have a support system I highly encourage you to surround yourself with more people who believe in the same things. Your family and happy hour friends don’t have to believe in this goal but you do.
You can join my community or apply for 1-1 coaching if you desire more support and guidance. This can make a world of a difference when you start to lose sight of your belief in yourself and your goals.
The possibilities are endless when you show up in your self-leadership for sustainability.
When you start creating excuses when it all can’t work promise me you’ll take a step back just to see how with a simple shift, it all can work out.
You deserve it.
Women's Health & Fitness Specialist.